Savannah is one of my favorite cities in Georgia. It is about a four and a half hour drive from Atlanta, depending on whose driving. Savannah is a refreshing change from the hubbub of the city. Savannah, Georgia is a quaint town with cobblestone streets, coffee houses, intellectuals, antebellum homes, town squares, and beautiful sculptures and fountains. The streets are shaded with giant old oaks covered in Spanish moss.
Sure, normal people live in Savannah, but when you visit, indulge your fantasies. Explore your intellect. See where the old city takes you. Reasons to visit Savannah are numerous. I’ve picked out twenty reasons I enjoy Savannah, Georgia.
1. The atmosphere of Savannah soothes my senses and calms my spirit. The physical environment and the pace of life seem to slow down. In Savannah, I feel like I have time to sit on a park bench, read a book, or stroll the streets of the city. Choose from one of 21 city squares in which to slow down and enjoy the day.
2. The architecture and history of the city is splendid. Corinthian, ionic, and Doric influences can be seen among the eight styles of architecture in the historic district. Savannah is a great place to appreciate history and architecture.
3. Like most cities along the south eastern coast, Savannah, Georgia, is full of folklore and ghost stories. One favorite tour is the walking tour of haunted places. From homes to a cemetery in which the statue of a little girl is said to cry, tour guides know the best places to take tourists for chills and thrills.
4. Nightlife on the Savannah River is filled with excitement. The Savannah River District is filled with music, outdoor dining, and frequent festivals. The Savannah River District is the place to be after dark. Enjoy great cuisine in a fun and friendly atmosphere.
5. The Forsyth Park Fountain is beautifully situated in a pristine city square. My husband had the privilege of performing a wedding for a friend on the square in front of the fountain. The bride arrived in a horse drawn carriage. Savannah is a perfect setting for a fairy-tale wedding.
6. Tybee Island is a beach located within miles of Savannah, Georgia. Tybee Island is one of the barrier islands off the coast of Georgia, on the Atlantic. It is a nice beach for family fun. Of course, in my opinion, most any place with sand and sunshine is worth visiting.
7. Restored homes in the Victorian district are another reason to visit Savannah. The most visited home these days is the home referred to in the novel and movie “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.”
8. A slow cruise on the Savannah River aboard one of Savannah’s riverboats, the Georgia Queen or the Georgia Queen II, is another reason to visit Savannah. Enjoy a scenic tour along Savannah’s intra-coastal waterway.
9. The Savannah College of Art and Design brings beauty and sophistication of a different kind to the city. Art galleries, a museum, and a theater add a new dimension to Savannah’s culture.
10. Savannah offers a number of quaint bed and breakfasts. Most are beautifully decorated, and service is usually exceptional. Stay in a bed and breakfast or home that has an outdoor patio. Many are hidden behind thick hedges and vines. The privacy and mystique is a great place for an intimate breakfast or quiet evening with family and friends.
There are many more reasons to visit Savannah. You will likely find hidden places that I have never seen. Visit after visit reveals new aspects of the mysterious, quaint city. Savannah, Georgia is one of my favorite cities because it offers an interesting dichotomy of intrigue, intellect, and art.