Every mom has some tricks up her sleeve when it comes to running a household, dealing with health issues, and other domestic situations. Here are five of my favorite tricks of the trade. You will find that they can save you money, hassle, and make your life just a little bit easier! Enjoy part two of this series.
1. At most optical stores (like Wal-Mart, Lens Crafters, etc) a bottle of eyeglass cleaner can be purchased for a couple of dollars. It oftentimes has an anti-fog compound in it, which makes it great for cleaning the mirrors in the bathroom. Because of its small size, it can be stored in the medicine cabinet. When you need to clean the mirrors, it’s right there and handy waiting to be used. It leaves the mirrors clean and they won’t get fogged up during showers. And the best part about it? These small bottles of eyeglass cleaner often can be taken back to the optical store and refilled for free!
2. Your sofas and recliners will look fabulous after giving them a good cleaning with a simple can of carpet cleaner foam. There are different brands to choose from including Woolite, 409, and even the store brand from the various dollar stores. Most of these carpet foam cleaners also have an added ingredient that helps repel future stains. Simply spray onto your upholstery and allow to sit for a few minutes. Using a few white terry cloth rags or towels, wipe up the cleaner in a small buffing motion. You will be amazed at the dirt that will be left on the towels and how great your furniture will look. After an hour or so it should be dry and fresh smelling, as well.
3. Your dishwasher will work like it did when it was brand new if you take care and keep the inside of it clean. Once a month, carefully remove any food and debris particles from the bottom where the water is siphoned out to drain. Pour an entire gallon of white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and run it, empty, on a regular water heated cycle. This will flush out all of the drains and clean out any build up that might hinder the dishwasher’s performance.
4. If your home has a stale smell try this wonderful neutralizing solution! In a large glass bowl, mix 1 cup of water, 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and 1 tsp of ground cloves. Microwave it until it is steamy hot and split the mixture up into several coffee mugs. Sit the coffee mugs in various parts of your home until the solution is cold (about an hour or so). This mixture can also be put in a crock pot and allowed to simmer during the day.
5. If you have older linoleum or tile floors that are looking their age, try this idea. After sweeping and mopping the floor, thoroughly, get one bottle of Future Floor Finish. With a sponge and good, old-fashioned elbow grease on your hands and knees, apply a very thick layer to every part of the floor. Even the store brands of this floor finish work well. Usually it is best to do this before bed as it takes a long time for it to fully dry when it is applied thickly (usually it is just squirted onto the floor and sponge mopped on). The next evening, sweep and mop the floor again and apply another thick layer of Future on the floor in the same way. After it dries, it will have a new, thick layer of acrylic protectant on it and will shine like new for a very long time.
Check back for more of my helpful household hints and tips in the future! I always have something up my sleeve.