Day after day you see beautiful homes on the market, maybe your house is one of them, or maybe not. You don’t have to spend a lot on money, in order to have a nice home. After watching houses being flipped, with little home improvement, I have found the key to improving you homes looks, with out spending a lot of cash.
First thing you will need to understand is that it will involve you working. You can save a bundle by doing it yourself, and not subcontracting a company to do it for you. Especially if your not planning to sell your home anytime soon.
1) Paint. Painting your house is a big job. But, it is well worth the work, once you complete it. You will need to decide on the colors of paint you wish to use. Stick with natural, soft tones. A off white house, trimmed in a mint green or beige looks crisp, and clean. Stay away from dark colors all together. It is cheaper to buy your paint in 5 gal buckets. If you buy to much, you can return any unopened paint, even if it is custom mixed at most large home improvement stores.
2) Lawn. You want your lawn to look as inviting as the exterior of your home. This means keeping the grass cut, and all hedges trimmed. If you have thin grass, plant grass seed. Planting grass seed is much more affordable then laying new sod. Add native colorful plants around walk ways, and drive ways. If your home has a front porch, you will want to add a small bench, or nice chairs. Large Wooden rocking chairs, add charm to country style homes. Do not clutter the yard with lawn ornaments. A small birdbath, or pond is plenty.
3) Floors. If the carpet is in good shape, with no stains then leave it. If not then it more then likely needs to go. Laying new carpet is costly, and real wood floors are not cheap, or easy to lay for beginners. Your best bet is to stick with peel and stick vinyl tile. They make a wonderful woodgrain vinyl tile, that really does look like wood floors. These planks are approximately 4 inches wide X 36 inches long, they come in a variety of colors, and rather affordable.
4) Walls. The walls in your home need the same TLC for a fresh start. Get rid of old wallpaper all together. If you don’t like white walls, that’s O.K. But, keep in mind, if your selling the house, potential buyers might not like funky colors. You should keep your walls light, and your home should flow. Off white, beige, light yellow, and light sage green are colors that make your home feel warm, and inviting.
5) Ceiling. Painting your ceiling the same color as the walls, will only make the room look smaller. By using white paint on the ceiling your going to make the room feel more open, and larger.
By using natural or light tones both inside and outside of the house, you will also allow for more decorative inspiration. It is easy to put a purple couch in a beige room, but it’s difficult if the room is dark orange.
TIP: Always look to see what is on sale or clearance when remodeling your home. Sometimes can find exactly what you need, at a fraction of the cost.