Cats, and kittens make great pets. They are cute, fun to watch, and seem to know when you need a little extra nudge. But, opening your doors to a kitty, might be inviting it into a death trap. There is nothing worse then finding your cat dead, especially when your the cause. I have listed 5 ways that I personally know of that has cause the death of a kitty indoors. I know some of them might seem bizarre, or unlikely, but they have all happened.
1) Dryer. This actually happened to me. I took the clothes out of the washer, and tossed them into the dryer. Not really paying attention I shut the door, and turned it on. A half hour later, when I returned to get the clothes, I found my cat inside. She had jumped into the dryer as I tossed the clothes in for some reason, and I just didn’t see her.
2) Mini Blinds. A neighbor brought home a new kitten, who was very playful. Almost every time you looked in the window you’d see the little guy batting at the curtains. Then one day the neighbor came home from work to find the kitty tangled in the mini blind cord dead. The kitty managed to get the cord wrapped around his neck, and body, then slipped off the window seal ledge.
3) Recliner. My brother had a kitten who was just 7 weeks old, and loved hopping around the house. One night my niece set down in the recliner, and reclined it back, only to feel something caught. They flipped the chair over, thinking it was a the missing remote, only to find the kitten. The chair had broken his neck, and he passed away before they could even get him out of the chair.
4) Christmas Tree. Several years ago a family friend had a cat who was older, but still playful. A few nights before Christmas the tree was glowing with lights, until it suddenly went dark. Thinking the cat unplugged the lights she crawled underneath to plug it back in, to find her cat lifeless. He had chewed though the cords.
5) The Stove. An acquaintance, of mine was frying chicken on the stove, when she turned to answer the phone. Her kitty, who was sitting on the table watching her decided to make a leap for the pan. He ended up landing on the handle, knocking the pan, and him off the stove, and onto the floor. The kitty was seriously burned, and despite all the efforts, he died a few days later from infection, while under Vet’s care.
It was only after telling a few people what happened to my kitty and the dryer that I realize how many accidents happen with cats. These little guys are just like babies, they get into everything, and don’t know any better. If you have a cat, or thinking of getting one, be sure to kitty proof your home first.