Even the happiest person is bound to have a bad mood everyone once in a while. Most people can usually shake them off easily, but sometimes when you have a particularly nasty encounter with someone, or you just didn’t get your way you might feel resigned to stay in a funk all day long. But that’s not so, and if you’d like to feel better you can. Here’s 6 ways to quickly shake off a bad mood.
1. Turn on some music. Music is amazing and can be therapeutic because it just makes people feel better. If you’re in a bad mood you can listen to soothing classical or jazz music to calm you down and take your mind off of what made you angry in the first place.
If you’re not in a classical mood you can listen to a fun pop song and dance crazily around the room to crack yourself up. Or if you need to be uplifted, put on an empowering power ballad and sing along at the top of your lungs to feel stronger. If you need to get some rage out listen to heavy metal or anything by the rapper Eminem and rock out.
If you don’t have music readily available sing your favorite song to yourself or just dance around a room and you’ll lighten your bad mood instantly.
2. Watch one of your favorite comedies. If you’re at home and you feel a nasty mood coming on just pop in a DVD of your favorite comedies. As soon as the movie gets underway and you start to concentrate on the plot your mood will brighten because you’ll be distracted. And when the funny scenes begin, you’ll start laughing which will make you feel physically better because it release the tension and stress out of your body.
3. Take a lesson from kids and go out and play. First of all playing is fun and it makes you feel good. Secondly it will make your problems seem smaller or completely irrelevant so mood will instantly lighten up. If it’s sunny outside go play one of your favorite sports, or if it’s raining just dance and skip in the rain. If you can’t find an adult to play with ask some kids to play with you, they will be more enthusiastic and will have more fun than adults anyway, and you’ll feel much better being around their light spirits.
4. Eat one of your favorite treats. One of the easiest ways to lighten up your mood is to eat something that you really love. Treat yourself to a caramel sundae or a decadent piece of chocolate cake or whatever it is that floats your boat. Eat it in a soothing and relaxing environment and be sure to really take your time to savor the flavors and textures instead of rushing through it because you’ll enjoy it more. Note: Make this tip an occasional habit, not an every day one.
5. Hang out with your fun friends. If you’re in a bad mood one of the easiest ways to lift it is to hang out with friends who are light hearted and who you always have a good time with.
6. Smile, even if you don’t feel like smiling. The action of smiling continuously will trick your mind into thinking that you have something to smile about and your mood will change. Plus smiling just feels better than frowning.