I know most of you work hard in your handmade jewelry. You worry about finding new markets and selling enough jewelry and all the day to day mechanics of making your jewelry business a success. I think you will be more productive in your jewelry business if you practice some simple principles to give your life and work more balance. Here are some ideas for helping to keep you sane in the sometimes not so sane world of handmade jewelry design and marketing:
1. Play some inspiring, classical music while you work on your handmade jewelry designs. Not only will this simple exercise relax you, it will also stimulate your creativity and open your mind to new ideas. If classical music is not your style, try listening to new age music which has a similar effect on mood and creativity.
2. Several times throughout the day, stop your work, close your eyes and meditate for a few minutes. Try to live in the moment without obsessing about the future. Let your mind go blank and experience the current moment. When you open your eyes and return to work, you should feel more refreshed and invigorated.
3. Once a day, stop and take a 30 minute walk, weather permitting. On your walk, don’t focus on what else you need to accomplish for the day, but instead observe the beauty and wonder of nature. Nature is an infinite source of jewelry design ideas. If you see an interesting leaf or piece of foilage, let it inspire you to create. One of my most interesting designs came from being inspired by an acorn.
4. Stop for a coffee or green tea break twice a day. Flavor your coffee with the syrup of your choice as a special treat. This is your reward for the hard work you’ve put in on your jewelry business. You deserve it! Also, consider the additional health benefits of drinking green tea.
5. Make your handmade jewelry workspace beautiful. Include favorite photos, art posters and prints, sculpture etc. Bring nature indoors by adding plants and some vases of your favorite fresh flowers. When you feel your stress levels rise, stop, take a deep breath, and breathe in your beautiful surroundings. You’ll feel relaxed and ready to be productive again.
6. Subscribe to a service that provides you with motivational quotes and stories on a daily basis. Read these quotes, understand them, and incorporate them into your daily thought patterns. Read motivational literature written by people who have achieved success and put these principles into ACTION. All the reading in the world won’t help if you don’t take action. Another good way to increase your productivity and motivation is to listen to motivational audiobooks. Audiobooks are so convenient as you can listen while working or while you’re in your car. Over time this simple practice can have enormously beneficial effects on your psyche causing you to be more productive and, in the long run more successful.
7. If all else fails, consider taking a mini vacation. Sometimes you need the rejuvenating effects that a complete escape from your jewelry business can give you. A day trip to another city or an outdoor excursion can be just the prescription you need to reignite your productivity and motivation.
Hopefully, these suggestions will help you to combat burnout in your jewelry business and help you approach your jewelry marketing and design with a fresh perspective.