Gift cards have quickly become the gift-of-choice for many last minute shoppers, and are a convenient and simple alternative to shopping for an actual gift. Finding the right present for that special someone can be frustrating, and if you don’t have access to their wish list this season, it can be hard to make the right decision. Gift cards help to solve your dilemma by letting the recipient go on a shopping spree–courtesy of yours truly–at their favorite shopping destination. Here are eight other benefits of giving holiday gift cards instead of presents this year:
1. No awkward ‘do you like it?’ moments. When the recipient sees their favorite brand or store next to the dollar value of the gift card, they’re much less likely to put on their ‘pretend like you really like it’ face. Unless you’ve picked up a Toys R’ Us gift card for grandpa, it’s difficult to lose the gift giving game.
2. They’re low maintenance. Gift cards usually come with gift envelopes, and when you’re feeling particularly creative, you can dress up the envelope even further with ribbons and a bow, perhaps. It’s one of the most hassle-free gifts available, and you don’t need to be a super gift-wrapper to get this one off your hands.
3. You can give it to people you don’t know very well. Subordinates at work, your brother’s mother-in-law, and even the mailman are usually happy recipients of gift cards.
4. They can save you money on postage costs. Some online gift card purchases also provide free shipping, so you don’t have to overextend your holiday budget by spending extra on mailing and deliveries. These are a lightweight gift that can usually be delivered within a week.
5. They fit inside stockings. It’s a simple stocking stuffer that offers many benefits.
6. They’re collectible. Today’s gift cards come in all sorts of unique colors, prints, and can be accessorized with uniquely shaped gift boxes.
7. You don’t need a gift receipt. Gift cards are just like cash cards, so the recipient has the freedom to buy or return whatever they purchase on their own.
8. You can show off how much you spent. Sure it’s slightly tacky, but if you want to make a point about your generosity this holiday season, gift cards are the way to go. Each gift card that’s loaded with a specific amount gets its own receipt, and whole amounts are sometimes printed on the card itself.
Gift cards can prevent many frustrating trips to the mall or area shopping venue, freeing you from the anxiety of giving the wrong gift. While they are less personal than an actual present, you can speed up your holiday shopping with this convenientï¿½â’¬”and usually well-received–alternative.