By now everyone has heard about what happened to the twin babies do Dennis Quaid. For those of you who have not heard the twins were given too much heparin by hospital staff according to www.cnn.com . They are currently still in the neonatal intensive care unit at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA. There aware actually a total of three babies who were given the accidental overdose amount by the hospital. They are currently being treated for the overdose, but doctors are saying that it is too early to tell whether or not there will be any long term affects. According to wikipedia.org, Heparin is used as an anticoagulant, and is supposed to prevent the formation of clots within the blood. It also helps to break down clots that have already formed with the babies.
So is this something that happens on a regular basis? After conducting some research on several hospitals around the country it seems that it is something that occurs more times than it should. Basically it is a result of hospital staff not following proper procedures. This is definitely not an acceptable mistake. It does bring to the attention of many how at risk their newborn babies can actually be. That is why many professionals are now urging parents to pay close attention to any drug that is being given to their children or even to themselves when they are in the hospital. This may even include asking someone to supervise or double check what the nurse is doing in order to make you feel more comfortable. Unfortunately you can no longer put one hundred percent or even sixty percent trust in the doctors and nursing staff at hospitals. Of course everyone makes mistakes but if the hospital staff had followed the proper procedures such as in the Quaid’s case than they would have had no problems. The procedures that most hospitals have in place are there so that accidents like overdosing babies does not happen. The problem comes when the staff does not want to follow them. Some doctors feel that there should be some type of electrical scanning devices that will help to make sure that the correct dosages are given. Of course along with the use of the electronic device would be at least two checks by the individual who is administering the drug. Many feel that this will help to prevent accidents like the one mentioned above from happening. Many people are posting get well thoughts for the Quaid family. If you have any thoughts or comments that you would like to share you can post them below this article.