Wedding favors can be a pricy addition to your budget, but are a wonderful addition to any ceremony. Wedding favors are a great way to thank your guests for joining you on your special day. Making your own summer wedding favors can be very simple, and can save you some money in the process. The following are some ideas for making summer wedding favors at home.
1. Personalized cookies- these are a wonderful and yummy addition to any wedding. To make your own personalized cookies, you will need:
– Your favorite sugar cookie recipe and white icing recipe
– Food coloring
– Piping bags and decorative tips
– Heart shaped cookie cutter
– Oven and other baking supplies
– Plastic bags and ribbon
Directions: Prepare your favorite cookie recipe and icing recipe according to the directions. Roll out the cookie dough and use the heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out your cookies before baking. Bake according to directions. When the cookies are cool, you are ready to ice them. Use a knife to spread a thin layer of icing on your cookies. Place the remaining icing into a piping bag with a small tip (the icing can be tinted to complement your wedding colors). Use the piping bag to write your initials on the cookies. Allow the icing to dry completely. Place each cookie in a plastic favor bag and tie a ribbon which coordinates with your wedding colors. Piping bags and accessories as well as favor bags are available at many craft stores as well as mass chain stores.
2. Wine charms-these are a practical wedding favor that will allow your guests to remember your special day for years to come. To make your own wine charms, you will need:
-glass or metal charms
-thin gauge wire
Directions: Cut a strip approximately 1.5 inches long from your wire. Make a very small loop at the one end of your wire. String the desired number of beads onto your wire. Attach your charm to the jump ring. Thread the jump ring onto the wire. At the other end of the wire, bend the wire until it makes a half loop (this will thread through the loop at the other end so the charm can close. You can give a set of these to each guest. The supplies are available at almost any craft store. Check out the jewelry section to find the glass or metal charms.
3. Personalized paper fans- these are wonderful for an outdoor wedding because they will help to keep your guests cool and comfortable. To make personalized paper fans, you will need:
– Ink pads
– Plain white paper fans(these are available in many different styles)
– Gel pen
– Hole punch
Directions: Plain paper fans are available in many different styles. Search the internet to determine if you would like a fold-out variety or a simple flat version. There are many online retailers, but they are also available at many craft stores. The other supplies are also available at almost every craft store. If you like a flat fan, you can make them yourself with some cardstock a Popsicle stick and a glue gun. Cut the desired shape from cardstock and stamp your initials on the front (you can also use decorative stamps to add more personality). Next, attach the Popsicle stick to the back with a low heat glue gun. If you like the fold out style, purchase the fan online, stamp the monogram on the front while the fan is completely flat. Use a gel pen to write a few sentiments for the guests on a small section of cardstock. Punch a hole in the cardstock and thread the ribbon through. Tie the ribbon to the end of the fan.
4. Wedding cd- this is a great reminder for any guest of your special day. What you need:
– Blank cds
– Music burning software(normally installed on your computer)
Directions: Burn the songs that you will play at your wedding reception onto a cd for each guest. Music burning software varies, so follow the on-screen instructions for your software. This is a very inexpensive summer wedding favor that will bring delight to your guests well into the future.