I could not imagine living without my microwave. I use it to defrost my meats. I use it to warm things. I use it almost every day. But could it be harmful to me? Could it be taking away any of the taste from the foods I eat?
These questions suddenly came into my mind, when I read a newsletter I get. The title suggests that the microwave takes away from the nutritional value of our foods. Right there, I stopped and thought this is not a good thing. I have enough trouble eating healthy as it is. I don’t want any nutrients to be zapped away from them. I continued reading.
It went on to say that the decline of our nutritional deficiencies began sliding downward just around the time the microwave became popular. Hmm, not happy so far.
Then it stated that one study showed that 97% of the nutritional value in vegetables were lost when microwaving them. Gave the article a quick scan, didn’t find the source of this information.
I kept on reading. It stated that if you microwaved broccoli (which is suppose to help us fight cancer) all the cancer fighting ingredients in it would be lost and the broccoli in essence would be considered dead, and have no or little nutritional value. (Like I would touch broccoli, but that is another article on unhealthy eating).
The article then went on to say that the invention of the microwave also coincided with the raise in obesity in developed nations. This I can buy. It does make it easy to have a slice of pizza anytime you want or a bag of buttered popcorn (I have begun eating those single bags, still yummy), etc. Plus, we all know about those frozen dinners, some good, some bad and many in between varieties.
The article ended by again stating that the microwave made food essential dead and those who used the microwave were basically the living dead. Hmm, is that why I am so tired?
Curious. I went to goggle, to see what others thought. Seems there is a debate.
A writer at epinions.com doesn’t believe microwaves will harm food, neither does a writer at pyroenergen.com who also had a good point, we do loose some nutritional value when we cook any foods, thus we are told never to over cook vegetables.
For now, my research has shown, two websites think no, that microwaves do not take away any or much nutritional value from our foods and one (which is the link I received in my newsletter, which started my whole search says yes the microwave does make our food dead and the writer will not own one.
As for me, I still can’t live without that microwave. It is the only way I can cook. Sure I have a stove, but like I said, sometimes I do have to defrost.