With all the headlines in the news about Unions and the recent U.A.W. strike against General Motors there seems to be a lot of anger and resentment against America’s Labor Unions.
This is most evident if you read any of the news articles published on many media websites and read the comments left by the readers. Many People blame the union members for causing American automakers to not be profitable, but this just isn’t true.
Labor cost represent just 10 percent of the cost of a new vehicle. So it is evident that the cost structure of the U.S. Auto Industry cannot be adjusted in a meaningful way by focusing on less than 10 percent of the costs, while ignoring the other 90 percent.
Did you know that data collected by the U.S. Census Bureau demonstrate that U.S. Autoworkers are among the most productive manufacturing workers in the world, producing value added worth $206 per worker per hour – far more than any of us earn in wages and benefits.
When people speak out about buying American products people look at you like your crazy and make comments about a ‘global community’. What is so wrong with supporting your family, friends and the economy of YOUR country?
If your Niece, Nephew, Grandchild or neighbor were selling candy in a school fund raiser would you except to get hassled over your decision to buy candy from them rather than at the supermarket down the street? No. of course not. So, why do people make such a big deal when Union members and their families ask for a little support?
Whether you believe in the ‘Global Community’ theory or not- The United States is still its own country with its own companies and employees and until all the countries on earth combined to make one “global Community’ you are either supporting YOUR country or another with each dollar you spend.
Americas Union’s are very active in lending a helping hand to local and national companies. Through the ‘United Way’ and other charitable organizations. many union members donate money and time to make a positive difference in their communities. Many Local unions hold fund raisers and collect coats and other supplies for needy kids and families. But when it comes to finding an organizations or people to support the union help can be hard to find.
People make comments about Union workers being lazy and having undeserved pay and benefits. Working on a production line is like no other job in the world and many of us will never experience it. Until you have been on your feet ‘tied’ to a production line for a minimum 8 hours a day you should not be the one to judge whether someone deserves the wages and benefits they receive.
Most union members and their families don’t want be on strike. They cant afford it anymore than you could. Could you afford to provide for your family on $200.00 dollars a week ( strike pay- for walking the picket line)? Probably not, and either can they. They are not happy about this. this isn’t some show of muscle, or threat tactic. This is about pride in the job they’ve done and the hard work and effort they’ve put into a company during their time ‘of need’ . Union members have worked hard for General Motors to help turn the company around and now the company is refusing to acknowledge the hard work its employees and union members have done. it is a slap in the face to the very employees that turned the company around.
Union members aren’t asking much from you. Just a little support and understanding.Please don’t bad mouth us for standing up for ourselves and what we deserve. And if you can muster up enough caring in your hearts a “honk and a smile as you drive by the picket line would help too!