Imagine this. You see a gorgeous new eye shadow in a magazine. It looks stunning on the model, which happens to have the same coloring as you, and you run right out and buy it. You bring it home, and try it on, only to be disappointed. The color looks nothing like it does on the model, on you. You sigh and head off to get on with your day, so far unsatisfied with your purchase. A couple of hours later, you catch a glimpse of yourself and notice your eye shadow now looks worse. It’s creasing and practically melting off of your eyes. You make a break for a mirror to touch up what you can. Finally, you chalk the new eye shadow up as an unfortunate waste of money and vow never to wear makeup again. Sounds familiar at all?
Don’t lose hope, there is a solution! If your eye shadow tends to crease on you, wear off quickly, or doesn’t show up as vibrantly as you hoped, here is your solution. They’re called eye make up primers (or eye makeup bases). Eye primers are a clear or flesh colored base that you put on your eyelids before applying eye makeup. They help to create a smooth base the eye shadow can stick to, so they wear longer, without creasing or fading. They also help bring out the true color and pigmentation of your shadow colors. They are a God send for people with oily eye lids, but anyone who wants longer lasting shadow can use them.
There are many brands of eye primers out there, but which ones are worth your time and money? I’ve compiled a list of the top 5 eye makeup primers currently on the market, based on real product reviews and personal experience.
1. The most popular and best selling eye makeup primer is a little gem called Primer Potion. It is made by Urban Decay and is available at http://www.urbandecay.com and Sephora. At $15 a tube, it’s a tad expensive, but it’s worth it for the results. A little goes a long way so they last quite awhile. Not to mention the cute genie inspired bottle it comes in.
2. Another equally popular eye base is called Art Deco Eye Shadow Base. This is only readily available in the UK, or by visiting http://www.artdeco.co.uk. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay. If you can get your hands on one of these you’ll be hooked. Not only does this base prevent shadow from fading and creasing, it actually makes your eye shadow waterproof!
3. The next best eye primer is a little less expensive and available at CVS. It’s called Lumene Eye Make Up Base. Many users of this product have reported it works just as effectively as Urban Decay Primer Potion, for a smaller chunk of change. All right!
4. Next on the list we have MAC Paints. Although MAC Paints are not technically an eye primer, but eye paint, many people insist they work great as a base. A popular color to use as a base is Bare Canvas. You will want to find one that closely resembles your skin color, so it blends with your lids and doesn’t change the color of your eye shadow.
5. Last but not least (unless you count the price) is Wet -N- Wild cream eye shadow. Again, these are not technically a base, but many people insist they work great. For $2 a pop, you can’t really lose. Just make sure to find a color that is close to your natural skin color.
Once you try an eye make up primer, you’ll never go back. They are the ticket to long lasting sexy eyes.