Do you often struggle with decisions on who to start and who to sit when looking at weekly match ups for your fantasy football team? Taking a look at the leagues 5 worst defenses against the rush and 5 worst against the pass will help make those decisions easier.
Let’s first look at the 5 worst defenses against the run:
1. Cleveland Browns- Last year Cleveland was the fourth worst team in the league against the run but I envision them to be even worse this year. Cleveland gave up over 140 yards per game last year against the rush. Opponents of Cleveland will also likely have a lead which will mean more carries against the Browns defense. If you have any decent running back set to go against Cleveland, I would put them in your lineup.
2. Tennessee Titans- Tennessee was the third worst team in the league against the rush last year giving up 144.6 yards per game. They should be equally bad this year and like Cleveland teams will likely have the lead against the Titans which will add to more carries against them. Start your running backs against the Tennessee Defense!
3. Indianapolis Colts- The Colts were pathetic against the run last year. They were the worst in the league and gave up 173 yards per game. Teams will likely try to give there running backs carries against the Colts to try to slow down the game and to keep Peyton Manning off of the field. Of course, if the Colts get a lead teams will be forced to go to the air. I would still recommend starting your running backs when they play the Colts.
4. St. Louis Rams- The Rams were only better then the Colts at stopping the run last year and gave up 145.4 yards per game. Their defense will not be much improved this year and I would recommend starting your running backs when they go against the Rams poor rushing defense.
5. New Orleans Saints- The only reason the Saints did not make the bottom five against the run last year is because they did not get that many carries against them. They gave up a league third worst of 4.9 yards per carry. Look for teams to realize this and run against the Saints this year.
Now lets look at the 5 worst defenses against the pass:
1. Detroit Lions- Detroit gave up over 220 passing yards a game last year and teams completed a league best 66.3 percent of there passes against the Lions. Detroit coach Mike Martz will not run the clock or keep his offense on the field long as they will pass any chance they get. I would look to starting any solid receiver or quarterback the week they are facing the Detroit defense.
2. Cincinnati Bengals- Like Detroit, Cincinnati will be in many high scoring games. The Bengals pass defense gave up 238.6 yards a game last season while opposing teams completed 62.9 percent of there passes against them. Look to start your wideouts against the Bengals Defense.
3. Arizona Cardinals- Arizona was the third worst team against the pass last year and expect them to be the same this year. They gave up 230.9 yards per game and opposing quarterbacks completed 61.5 percent of there passes against them.
4. Minnesota Vikings- Minnesota was the worst team in the league against the pass and best team in the league against the rush in 2006. Look for teams to try to test there passing game against the Vikings as this is the only way to move the ball against them. I would consider starting your wide receivers and quarterbacks and sitting your running backs when facing the Minnesota defense.
5. Atlanta Falcons- Atlanta will continue to struggle in there passing defense. They gave up 229.2 yards per game last year and expect that trend to continue. Start your wide receivers, tight ends and quarterbacks against this weak Atlanta Defense.
When looking at those fantasy lineup decisions, it often helps to look at the defensive trends of their opponents. Keep this article handy to help you make those tough decisions as the season progresses.