If you are trying to save some money but hate the way your living room sofa looks, there are some ways you can update its look without breaking the bank.
Here are 5 Ways to Update the Look of Your Sofa:
1) Slipcover: If money is an object and you cannot afford re-upholstering your sofa let alone buying a new one, there are ways that you can update the look by buying ready made slipcovers. There are discount stores that carry these items nowadays, and they no longer look like your grandma’s slipcovers. Surefit carries a line with affordable prices; they fit well and come in different sizes, colors, and patterns. Make sure to choose one that is washable so that you can re-use it over and over again.
2) Pillows: Add pillows on your sofa. If your sofa came with its own pillow, you can also buy ready-made pillow covers from thrift and discount stores. I bought a couple of silk orange pillow cases from a store in Chinatown for less than $5.00 each. It is an easy and cheap way to update the look of your sofa. (See photos on left on how I used colorful pillows to change update my boring white sofa).
3) Throw: Add in a throw on your sofa. Throws come in different textures and designs; it is one way of updating your sofa without spending so much money. You can add a velvet red throw during the Christmas holidays to warm up your otherwise bland sofa. Bed Bath and Beyond stores sell these at $29.99 each. You can also layer different colored throws for a more dramatic look.
4) Embellish: There are ways to embellish your boring sofa, you can add tassels around the arms, or you can use glue gun to add fringe at the bottom of your sofa. If you have a plain white sofa, you can also add beautiful huge tack nails around the edges of your sofa, the shiny finish can give your sofa a modern look. Visit a fabric store near you; they sell yards and yards of fringes, fabric ropes, decorative ribbons, beads that you can easily stick on to your sofa by using fabric glue or glue gun.
5) Paint: Yes, you read it right, paint! This is possible and yes it has been done, even by designers, before. You can use either fabric paint or latex paint (the ones you normally use on walls). By painting swirls or circles on a plain white sofa using fabric paint, you can update the look of your sofa. I have also seen a show before where the designer used red latex paint on a very old sofa and it was gorgeous afterward. You can possibly do this bravely if you know that your sofa is very old and whatever you do with it is an improvement. If you have a wooden framed sofa, with wooden legs, you can stain or paint the wood to make the look livelier.
There you have it folks! Hopefully these tips can help you update your sofa without spending so much money, time, and effort. If your sofa came with a love seat and chairs, make sure to update those as well for a more cohesive look.