Sometimes no matter how careful we are we end up getting color on our clothes, or shake the bottle of color not noticing it splattered all over your carpet. Removing hair dye from your clothes or for that matter anywhere else can be really tough to remove, especially if the dye has been sitting awhile. Don’t panic though you don’t have to throw that shirt out or go and buy a new rug. With these solutions your shirt and carpet will look like they never got hair dye on them. Being a hairdresser I always use to get so upset when I would get a spot on my clothing. So I started to experiment with many products to try and find the best ones to solve this problem. My results were amazing. I no longer have to worry about hair dye anywhere again.
1. Uncolor hair color remover by Clairol- This product is a very gentle semi- permanent hair color remover. It’s very quick and easy to use if you follow the directions the right way. It’s not only leaves your hair very clean and ready to apply the new color, It’s great for removing color stains off your clothes. Take a rag and soak enough of the product on it and rub onto the piece of clothing. Now you can just pour a little directly from the bottle onto the clothing, but be careful not to pour the whole bottle. Let the clothing air dry and repeat if necessary. You have to use a little elbow grease. This can be bought at a beauty supply place for around four dollars.
2. Melabrite- This product is a great product that contains stain fighting ingredients like for blood, spaghetti, and will help get out hair dye too. This product doesn’t contain chlorine bleach so you don’t have to worry about your clothing fading or changing colors. First spot clean the area with a dab of this product. Let the product sit awhile on the area for at least thirty minutes or so. Then wash the garment with this stuff again in the washer on cool cycle. Hang dry and do not place in the dryer. If you do the spot will settle in. This is a color safe brightener product.
3. Vinegar and hot water- First you have to apply the vinegar to the color stain making sure it’s saturated enough. Then add about 2 1/2 cups of vinegar to your washer machine on the wash cycle. When done hand dry and repeat if necessary.
4. Roux clean touch- This is another gentle formula that removes hair color from the skin, but works on your clothing even better. This product should be just for removing color off your clothing. It doesn’t work well on the skin in my opinion. Soak the spot with this product, rub it in, and let it air dry. You can buy this at a beauty supply place for about five dollars.
5. Carbona stain devil- There is many of these products all different for certain types of stains. To get color out of clothing I recommend using the one for coffee or blood. Rub it on the color stain making sure it’s wet enough. Leave it on a few hours. Then repeat with carbona again, but this time add a little spot shout or a similar product to this. The stain will disappear.
6. Perm solution- This is great to take the color dye off your carpet. Perm solutions has a lot of alkaline in it and breaks down the hair dye just like it does on your hair when you color your hair first before a perm. That’s why I always suggest to perm your hair first before applying any type of color. Place some perm solution on the spot of your carpet and scrub. Make sure you wear gloves. Then shampoo your rug so it doesn’t smell like a perm. Any kind of perm will do the job.
7. Head and shoulders shampoo- This is a great shampoo to get the color stain out of your carpet. This shampoo strips out the color in your hair, so it will break down the color on your carpet too. Take a wet rag with shampoo on it, then scrub for at least ten minutes, let it dry, and repeat if necessary.