Brace yourself as I attempt the unthinkable and breakdown for everyone the top 10 greatest female MC’s of all time! Most people think of great MC’s and automatically think of the male counterparts! But this list will smash those myths, that only the guys rock nice on the mic device. This topic has been a long time coming, and it’s only right that we make sure our ladies get the respect and recognition in Hip-Hop that they deserve! So without further delay I present to you, the top 10 greatest female MC’s of all time!
10. Monie Love – colorful, playful, and an insightful & thoughtful wordsmith, Monie was a dope MC who packed clever lines and conscience messages in every rhyme she spit!
Classic Hits: “Monie in the middle” & “It’s a Shame”
9. Remy Ma – to some she was the female version of Big Pun in the making. This Bronx bomber is one of the few female MC’s who can spit as hard as any male MC, while still looking fly and sexy as a respected lady!
Classic Hits: Verses from MOP’s Ante Up remix, & Lean Back Remix by Fat Joe
8. Eve – The pitbull in a skirt who could bark on enemies like DMX while catchin wreck on the mic, but with versatile subject matter that ranged from relationship abuse, to spittin dope rhymes. Eve is definitely a force to be reckoned with!
Classic Hits: What Ya’ll Want, Love Is Blind, Blow Ya Mind
7. Lil Kim – Raunchy, Provocative, Stylish, Sexy, Ghetto Fabolous. These are some of the adjectives that come to mind when thinking about the diminiutive head turning diva from Brooklyn, NY, Lil Kim. She has always had the “Ride with me and feel the pain of a sista tryin to survive” kind of support from the ladies that Mary J Blige has enjoyed throughout her career. But Kim also has enjoyed success and props from the fellas, thanks to the outlandish & carefree antics of promoting her sex appeal too! Kim maybe one of the more controversial picks on this list for alot of people, but it’s her confidence, BK swagger and desire to remain relevant in the industry, that has left an impact on Hip-Hop that can’t be denied!
Classic Hits: No Time, Crush On You, Whoa
6. Missy Elloit – Another controversial pick on this list for some, because of her genre mixing & cateogory blending style she brings to the game. But her impact, influence & relevance to the game is undeniable and her love & respect for Hip-Hop is unquestionable.
Classic Hits: Sock it 2 Me, Get Your Freak On, One Minute Man
5. Da Brat – Raw & Real with no chaser! Brat was one of those females who showed the industry that you don’t have to shake your ass half naked with your breats hanging out to be noticed and respected as a hot MC. And her accomplishment of becoming the first solo female artist to go platinum was proff positive of that!
Classic Hits: Funkdafied, that’s What I’m Loooking For, What Do You Like
4. Salt & Pepa – Trendsetters, Trailblazers & Record Breakers. This group was the female equivalent to Run-DMC in terms of their impact and importance to Hip-Hop. Their records have stood the test of time and their legacy is cemented as one of the few female Hip-Hop groups were instrumental in making sure women in Hip-Hop got the equal respect and recognition they deserved! Dope fresh material, catchy sing song hooks, sexy but still classy, Salt & Pepa were fun, cool, always fly, and a driving force artistically & commercially for success for females (and all MC’s) to build on and be proud of.
Classic Hits: Push It, Everybody Get Up, Talk About Sex, What A Man
3. Lauryn Hill – Arguably the most multi talented artist on this list, by far, Ms. Hill (if not for the extended hiatus of inactivity and strange personal & professional behavior), could have easily been number one on this list! What a triple threat of an artist indeed (rap, sing & act). With intelligence to educate & enlighten, the artistry to entertain, the heart to motivate, & the creativity to inspire a generation of lyrcial poets to dare to dream and think outside the box of conventional Hip-Hop! Which is why her “Miseducation” is so brillant!
Classic Hits: Doo Wop, Lost Ones, Everything is Everything
2. Queen Latifah – Royal Flava & a majestic lyrical assault only fit for a Queen, Latifah’s throne to greatness is a path few have traveled let alone succeeded with. The total package and versatile MC, who could rhyme, sing or spit a reggae inspired dialect with the best brethren in the game. Her authoriative, no nonsense, take charge stance on the mic demaned respect and accepted nothing less, from her fans, critics and peers. Long live the Queen indeed!
Classic hits: U.N.I.T.Y., Latifah’s had it up to here, Ladies First
And now the moment you’ve all been waiting for, the number one top 10 greatest female MC of all time is
1. MC Lyte – “I’m the dopest female that you’ve heard thus far”! That line from her 1989 classic “Cha, Cha, Cha” is so prophetic it’s frightening. She is the ultimate blueprint of what every MC (male or female) should strive for, top notch lyrical word play, and an original, creative style, & confident swagger that few could match and no one could conquer. She could drop knowledge (with joints like Georgie Porgie, Cappuchino, or her verse on Self Desrtuction, which she ripped by the way), or battle rhymes like 10% Diss, or kick hot dope rhymes like Paperthin, Stop, Look Listen or Lyte As A Rock! The total package of a truly great MC!
Classic Hits: Cha Cha Cha, Lyte As A Rock, Paperthin
and of course I gotta give some respect due to some honorable mentions as well: They are as follows:
Lady Bug (Mecca)
Lady of Rage
So did you see or hear your favorite female MC mentioned? If so great, but if not you know what to do! Reply or comment here and let me know who would be your top 10 Greatest Female MC’s of all time! Take care and stay blessed till next time!