Every one hears about the haunted dolls or diaries of famous dead celebrities going up for auction on Ebay. But the real treasure on Ebay are the everyday items that don’t receive much attention.
Ebay is at its most useful when buying an item that would be hard to get in your area. Another reason to seek out a product on Ebay is the price. Some things aren’t worth the trouble.
Take for example trampolines, sure you can buy one on Ebay, but the shipping and costs are very comparable with going out to a retail store in your area and purchasing it without the shipping cost. Somethings just aren’t smart to buy.
But where Ebay truly shines is in the hard to find items. Childhood toys from the 1980’s to 1900’s are on Ebay. Most of them are quite affordable. For those of us who had a lost doll or favorite Fisher Price Little People Set we only have to search Ebay’s massive toy section.
Another item many people never think of buying on Ebay is Perfume. Recently I bough a case of Camp Beverly Hills Perfume for less than $40.00. Before my mother had become severely ill with breast cancer it was her favorite perfume. So buying it online over 20 years later was a special treat for me. I was able to spray the shiny silver bottles into the air and tell my children that this is what my mother smelled like.
Rare perfumes are abundant on Ebay, but so are still in production scents such as Bill Blass and Chanel. Finding someone who deals in perfume or the even better deal of finding someone who just hated your favorite scent can save you big bucks on Ebay.
Buying a certain, very specific piece of jewelry is something I have found very useful. When I lost a bracelet given to me before my mother died I was heart broken. But a quick search on Ebay using “Jade Gold antique bracelet” brought up three of the very same bracelet. I bought one for $11.00 total. It wasn’t the one my mother had given me of course, but it was an identical copy and this made it special to me. Even the new jewelry is something I love to search through. Shipping is often free because of the size of the packaging making this a very good opportunity to save money.
The possibilities on Ebay are endless for the smart shopper.
Buying glow bracelets for my children’s annual Halloween party became one of the best deals. I found one thousand bracelets for a little over $40.00 (express shipping included). Can’t use 1000 glow bracelets? Give them away as presents to family, resell them at local events or just save them for the next Holiday kids need a special treat. When you consider it’s almost $2.00 a piece for glowing items at retail stores this deal becomes one of the best.
But still there’s more.
Imagine going back to school shopping for boys clothing without leaving your home and paying a fraction of the retail cost. On Ebay you can input a size and type of clothing you are seeking and whole retail lots of clothing will come up. It’s going to cost more to buy the name brand items in cases, but compared to retail it is still an amazing bargain. I bought a case of 150 piece boys size 14-16 Old Navy dress pants and shirts on Ebay for $150.00 shipping included. Compare one dollar per shirt or pants to the cost going to Old Navy and you can understand why it’s one of my favorite ways to shop Ebay. By typing in “Fall baby girl 24 mos” I was able to locate bulk size auctions of clothes containing fall clothing. A bulk box 75 items of clothes cost me $50.00 total. The items were coats, bathrobes, jeans (new with tags), sweaters and dresses. I took care of Fall clothes for my daughter in one single purchase which took 3 minutes to complete.
Even plus and petite womens clothing can be found in bulk lots. This Spring I purchased a lot of 12 womens shirts and jeans, most with tags still on them from a woman who had lost 25 pounds and treated herself a new wardrobe. The total cost was $39.00 and I was very pleased with that auction.
Some of the greatest deals I found on Ebay were ones I could never imagine finding anywhere else.
Pure silk fabrics shipped directly from India, one of the finest makers of cloth in the world. The packages arrived hand stitched with such detail I bought enough to put curtains in my entire home. The silk in bulk was very cheap, under one hundred dollars for about 70 yards of various styles all silk.
The ability to buy from such professional fabric makers is a special treat, but the fact the American dollar is so strong over the Rupee is even more incentive. Many Indian shops sell their fabrics for just a few dollars. The trick is to search many times and be aware of the Ebay sellers reputation.
From Indian incense directly from the ashrams in Delhi to the richly colored fabrics you will not only find things you’ll love but also help others make a living in a far off land.
Every country has something to offer on Ebay, don’t be afraid to search their home country Ebay for even better local deals.
Unfortunately the English pound is stronger than the American dollar which makes buying things from England more costly.
I have bought many things from England, but only when I couldn’t find better quality from anywhere else. We ate the cost many times on the currency conversion. But sometimes the item was so rare it couldn’t be found in other venues.
But maybe clothes, fabrics, perfume and toys are not your interests.
That’s just fine, because Ebay caters to all people.
Logging onto my Ebay motors account I can get hard to find items for older model cars with no problem.
Just search what you need and sort through the results.
Recently our car had a hard to find side mirror fall off. The Dealership was going to charge $120.00 just to order the piece.
I went to Ebay and found a wholesale dealer of Ford auto parts with next day shipping with our part for sale. Final cost was $35.99 which makes me wonder if those guys at the dealer aren’t making a killing selling this guys merchandise.
Some things to consider when buying from Ebay for the first time are:
1. Make sure you check a sellers feedback carefully. Not all Ebayer’s are created equal and you can read and find that out for yourself.
2. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Not that you can’t find amazing deals on Ebay. But scams such as “buy my sealed envelope it is guaranteed to have a cash prize inside” run rampant on Ebay.
3. Shop around. Each Ebay seller has their own price and shipping costs. Also, just because it’s on Ebay doesn’t mean it is cheaper than retail. Check out Biz rate to keep in the know about current prices.
4. Snipers are out there. It’s happened many times to me, you are in the lead of an auction and the price is fabulous. Just when you think you won the item someone comes in during the last 2 seconds of the auction and swipes the item away with a one dollar higher bid. Many times I have fallen victim to this so if you want something bad enough “babysit” the auction till completion.
5. Watch for cost bulking shipping fees. The auction is so cheap but a look into the shipping and it’s one hundred dollars. This is very common on Ebay so beware. Some sellers just wont make enough to cover costs if they don’t bulk up the shipping so in many instances it’s understandable. But, I never buy from a seller who doesn’t show shipping costs. Those are the ones that can really make for a nasty surprise at the close of an auction.
6. When buying DVD’s online through Ebay make sure you buy ones from your country code. Many people make the mistake of getting cheap DVD’s through a foreign seller which will not play in American DVD players and visa versa. If in doubt, send off a question asking where the DVD’s can be used. I learned this one the hard way.
7. Finally, communication with a seller is the most important. Never be afraid to ask a seller some questions before committing to a bid or sale. Treating people with kindness and respect can really get you far on Ebay. I have had seller send me more items just from being courteous and quick to pay for their auction.
Make sure to always leave a good feedback score for a good seller. Some new members of Ebay think they should give a neutral feedback when the item was just okay with no problems. But neutral is considered to be a mark against them to many sellers and so not considered a good feedback. Never leave feedback for an item until it comes in the mail. As feedbacks are permanent.
Ebay can be a wonderful tool if used wisely, so don’t be afraid to search out that lost toy or movie you would love to own. Or start your own store, you would be surprised how much money can be made from clothes and clutter. Truly, one mans junk is another mans Ebay Treasure.