On the next nice day you have go on a road trip. Pick a destination you like to go to when you want to relax or just pick a place to drive around that you been meaning to see but haven’t done so yet. Forget about all the little things that’s been bugging you, crank the music and just go.
All too often we place so many other things in front of our mental health and part of good mental health is keeping life balanced. In today’s world it seems like we always should be doing something else rather than just taking a day to relax and breathe.
When I go on a road trip I want to listen to music that makes me feel better, music that keeps me relaxed, makes me happy, keeps me motivated, and that is fun to listen too.
What do you listen to when you go on a road trip? We all have some kind of music we like to listen to when road tripping and I thought I would share mine with you. You will notice a lot of oldies on this list that are indeed before my time but none the less when I am road tripping I can listen to these songs because they just make me feel better. Whether it’s the beat, the lyrics, or the sound of the music these are the songs that keeps me smiling when I am flying down the road escaping to another place.
1) Born to Be Wild, Steppen Wolf – This is the first song that comes to mind for me when I think of road trip. It has a nice beat, it’s easy to sing and I can get lost in the lyrics feeling free. Who doesn’t have a born to be wild side?
2) Runnin’ Down a Dream, Tom Petty – In my younger days I would commute to school and I would remember rolling down the window on nice sunny days and just blasting this song. It brings back some great memories of my college days.
3) Money for Nothing, Dire Straits – Back when I was in high school, I used to go on road trips with my friends, we would just get in the car and go. Without a doubt this song would be on the radio playing. We were just young, not thinking about anything else but being young.
4) I Can’t Drive 55, Sammy Hagar – This is just a great driving song. When I hear this I sing and keep the pedal down. Sammy has a lot of great party music that just makes you feel good and this is his best party song on wheels.
5) Don’t Worry, Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin – In my younger days I would drive through Chicago a lot on road trips and like any big city I would always run into traffic, the downer of the trip. This song would come on the radio and I couldn’t help but smile. It wasn’t even a song I would typically listen too but because it made me smile I would always listen and start singing to it.
6) Radar Love, Golden Earring – I love the beat of this song and it just never gets old. I can be just running up to the store and if I run across this song I will leave it on and drive a little further just to listen to it.
7) Free Ride, Edgar Winter – Is a great song to sing, it has the perfect up beat tempo, with an easy going touch. It’s another song that just will never grow old. “Come on and take a free ride.” Perfect lyrics to drive to.
8) Life is a Highway, Tom Cochrane – I really enjoy listening to this song. To me, its offers the same things that Free Ride offers. It has a nice and calming feel to it.
9) All I Want To Do, Sheryl Crow – The summer this song came out my family and I were on the move and at that time we were doing the packing and moving ourselves. This song was on the radio a lot and the nice thing about it was it was and still is upbeat and fun. Whenever I here this song I think about that summer and how our lives changed.
10) All Right Now, Free- This is just a good easy listening, easy to sing to song that is yet another timeless classic.
I could add a lot more to the list for various reasons but this is my top ten all time feel good road trip songs. Now put together your list of songs that make you happy, hit the road, and just get away for awhile.