Stan Lee is the creator of several Marvel comic book characters and is hailed as the catch phrase guru of the industry. Recently he has hosted a television show called, “Who Wants to be a Superhero?” which includes a catch phrase competition. Thus far no one has been able to hold a candle to the notorious Stan Lee but even his catch phrases can be cheesy, so here are 6 of possibly the cheesiest catch phrases ever thought of.
6. “By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!” This catch phrase was invented by Stan Lee, the creator of Doctor Strange. The Doctor was a former physician that couldn’t operate anymore due to injuries suffered in a car wreck. He sought out an old wise man who could supposedly cure him and instead became a sorcerer. He often exclaimed, “By the hoary hosts of hoggoth” to get help from mystical gods when performing a spell.
5. “You won’t like me when I’m angry,” was spoken by Bruce Banner right before he turned into The Incredible Hulk. Of course his enemy won’t like him when he’s angry. Who likes a giant green, muscle-monster when they get angry? The outcome is without doubt going to painful.
4. “It’s Clobberin’ Time!” The famous words of Ben Grimm The Thing, a member of the Fantastic Four. Originally created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, The first time The Thing uttered the words was in Fantastic Four issue 22, The Return of the Mole Man.
3. “I’m a futurist.” Aren’t all super heroes futurists in some way? Tony Stark, otherwise known as Stan Lee’s Iron Man has an affinity for this phrase and uses it often. Tony Stark was one of the people who founded The Avengers and along the way has made friends with characters from all different religious backgrounds. Since Stark is written to be a worldly man, religion is not one of his stronger qualities. Perhaps the future holds more meaning to this Stan Lee character than religion and that’s the reason behind the catch phrase.
2. “We are the future.” Magneto says this particular phrase only once but he refers to be the future numerous times. Ironically, (and probably much to the Iron Man’s horror) in one particular recent issue Marvel Comics places him in a situation in the past.
1. “Nothing moves the Blob.” The Blob’s catch phrase has become so popular that it is uttered in the video game X-men Arcade where he is a boss. Blogs like YTMND and Something Awful have turned this catch phrase into a meme.
There you have it, six totally goofy and completely cheesy catch phrases written by the creative mind belonging to Stan Lee. Mr. Marvel Universe himself.