The effects of dehydration can be horrible. The symptoms can ranch from dry mouth and muscle act, to fatigue and nausea. Dehydration can be easily prevented provided one follows some simple steps. Remember that an increase in heat is a cause for dehydration and one should be particularly vigilant during these times. The following is a list of 5 suggestions to help one stay hydrated in the summer heat.
1) Environment is crucial when it comes to an economy of water. Working in hot environments is a major cause of dehydration. One of the easiest methods one can take to avoid becoming dehydrated is to simply monitor a schedule. Activities shouldn’t be scheduled in the hottest parts of the day. If one must expose themselves to laborious activities during the heat of the day drink plenty of fluids to prevent a significant loss of water in the body.
2) Not everyone is susceptible to heat in the same fashion. Typically, people who are young or elderly in age are at the greater risk than the majority of the population. People who fall into these demographics must recognize their unique position. In the case of the young, adults must place extra care on the child when conditions are presented.
3) Knowing the symptoms of dehydration is important in reminding one to hydrate. Symptoms are thirst as well as a decrease in urination. One should recognize that the body is in need of attention if these simple symptoms occur. The color of urine is also an indicator of how well hydrated the body is. The decrease in urination has symptoms of its own. The decrease in urination is the means by which the body attempts to conserve water. Urine, as it is in what might be called a condensed format, will appear to be much more yellow in color.
4) Keeping liquids with you at all times is an easy way to prevent dehydration. Keep bottles of water and juices on hand for car rides, walks, boating or whatever activities one participates in on hot days. Remember that frequent stops into tea shops and restaurants are great ways to enjoy some time with friends on a hot day.
5) Rest is essential to the health of the body. Just as stopping into a tea shop or restaurants with friends to hydrate the body, the rest is also important. A short rest in the shade is beneficial for both cooling the body down. By cooling the body down a conservation of water is actually taking place. The cool body limits the amount of water the body looses through sweat and breathing. This is also why it is of particular importance to properly rest after long work in the heat