With warm weather, many people are taking advantage of outdoor activities designed for the summer season. While being outside playing can be a lot of fun, there are a few safety precautions that people must follow in order to stay cool and comfortable. By following these simple tips, you will not only protect your health this summer, but you can also focus on enjoying your day of leisure.
1. Wear light color clothing that is made of a natural fiber such as cotton. The exception is when wearing swimwear. Try to purchase a swimsuit that is made with a special SPF fabric. This will protect the covered area from sun damage.
2. Suntan lotion should match your corresponding activity. If you are going to be outdoors for a long time or are fair skin, purchase a suntan lotion with a high SPF number. Also, if you are planning on participating in sports, you will need a sweat-proof product that will not sting or run into your eyes. Waterproof lotions are also available for people who will be participating in water activities.
3. Try to refrain from wearing any fragrances or cosmetics outside. During the summer, the warm temperature makes it the perfect time for bug season. Many bugs are attracted to fragrances and will follow you, no matter how hard you try to get rid of them. Also, if you want to stay comfortable, try to no wear any makeup while participating in an outdoor activity. As you sweat, the makeup will break down and could possibly sting your eyes. Furthermore, some of the newer mineral makeup, when combined with warm temperatures and sweat, will cause severe burning and stinging all over a person’s face.
4. It is most uncomfortable to be outside during the hours of 11 to 5, as temperatures are at their warmest for the day. In order to stay cool and comfortable this season, try to schedule and outdoor activity in the early morning, late afternoon, or evening to avoid the season’s heat.
5. If you do choose to be outdoors during the daytime, try to avoid all flowering bushes or trees, as bugs congregate in these areas. As a safety precaution, find out if any members in your party are allergic to insect stings or have any other allergies. This is especially important if you are going to the beach, as the dune areas have wildflowers that attract bees and the water contains jellyfish, sea urchins, and other stinging creatures.
6. Should you choose to hold a nighttime outdoor activity, avoid all areas of water. This is important because children or people with vision impairments sometimes have difficulties with depth perception. What may appear as a small puddle may actually be a larger area filled with water. Also, at nighttime on beaches, currents and undertows are hard to distinguish. Next, try to avoid having too much artificial lighting when having a nighttime activity. Bugs, especially gnats, are attracted to artificial lighting, and sometimes they are not visible until you make contact with them. Using citronella candles can help keep bugs away.
7. Last, know you body. If you feel the need to slow down or rest, do so. Be sure to check on other members of your party (children, elderly, those with medical conditions, and pets) frequently to observe for signs of heat exhaustion or heatstroke. Encourage all companions to spend time in the shade and re-hydrate.
By following these easy tips, your outdoor activity will bring you and your guests much enjoyment, while helping you to stay cool and comfortable all summer long.