Summer is in full swing and that means the bugs have arrived. Humidity and heat are a favorite for these creepy crawly little creatures. No one enjoys a summer barbecue or camping trip when you continuously are getting bit or bothered by bugs. With so many tiny creatures in the world, how do you know which to look out for?
Here is a list of pests you should keep an eye out for while spending time outdoors: These castles beneath the earth are everywhere. There are many different types of fire ants, the most common being the red imported fire ant. These ants are a reddish-brown and they measure around 1/8″ long. These creatures will make their homes underground and create a mound of dirt over their nest. The mounds can grow over 18 inches in height! Some of the most common places these ants will choose to make a home are lawns, parks, playgrounds, fields, and pastures. They have even been known to nest inside of the walls in buildings. If you are ever stung by a fire ant, you might feel a sharp pain followed by a burning sensation. If you are unfortunate enough to step on an ant mound, you will most likely acquire many stings at once. Each of these stings will evolve into an itchy blistered area by the next day. If you are stung and experience breathing problems or chest and throat tightness you may be allergic to these ants and will need to find medical attention immediately. However, in most typical cases much more simple steps can be taken for your bites –
Apply ice to your bites.
Wash the area with soap and water.
The best way to avoid being bitten is to be aware of your surroundings. Don’t step near any dirt mounds, and always wear shoes when outdoors. Never poke or attempt to play with a fire ant mound. These stings can range from painful to deadly, depending on if you are allergic. If you ever encounter bees the first thing you need to remember is to react quickly. Get far away from the bee as they release a scent when in danger that will attract other bees to the location. Once more arrive, they will most likely sting you as a defense to themselves. If you are not able to get away in time and are stung you should always remove the stinger immediately. It is OK to pull the stinger out with your fingers as it will not affect them. The longer the stinger remains in your body, the more harsh of a reaction you will have. If you are allergic to bees I recommend carrying an epinephrine auto-injector at any time you will be going outdoors. If you do not have one of these on you when stung, you need to call 911 immediately. For those unsure if they are allergic, you will want to watch closely for signs of anaphylaxis:
Shortness of breath.
Medical attention will be needed for any victim developing anaphylaxis. Some over the counter medicines such as Benedryl can slow the reaction, but will not stop it.
Even if you are not allergic to bee stings you will most likely experience redness, swelling, and pain. This pain however should not last long and will fade rather quickly. An ice pack should be applied as soon as possible to reduce swelling and discomfort.
Please also note that honey bees will leave their stingers behind, however wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets will not. These stings will all have the same similar reactions and can be equally deadly to those allergic.
Red rash, sometimes taking the appearance of a bulls eye.
Ticks tend to like tight places, or those that get moist. If you are ever outdoors be sure to check in places such as the under arms, groin, waist, belly button, neck, and backs of the knees.These pesky bugs are quite common across America. In certain areas mosquitoes can transmit diseases. These bugs can inflict painful bites that can last for a day, and sometimes grow into an infection. These flying creatures tend to like humidity and moist areas. Mosquitoes don’t have to ruin your time outdoors, there are very easy methods to prevent bites from occurring. In most convenience shops and grocery stores you can find a variety of bug repellents, candles, and lotions that can aid in avoiding bites.
-Mosquitoes: These creatures are quite disgusting and can be a great annoyance. They typically can be found in dry bushy areas, wood, and hiking trails. If you encounter a tick you will find that they don’t just bite, but actually burrow their head beneath the skin. Ticks should always be removed as soon as noticed. You will need to grab the tick with tweezers as close as possible to the skin. Pull gently but firm, being sure not to grab too hard or you risk breaking pieces of the tick off inside of your skin. Examine to make sure all pieces of the body and head are intact after removing. It is best to keep the tick inside of an airtight bag or container for roughly 7 days. This is because they can cause Lyme Disease, which can become very dangerous to anyone. Some symptoms you will need to look out for consist of: