Mardi Gras: Why should you celebrate it this year? Here are ten reasons…
Mardi Gras is a time-honored celebration. It’s real name is Fat Tuesday, and it is celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday. Did you know that it actually is the last day of the Carnival celebration, and Mardi Gras falls 46 days before Easter? Even if you aren’t religious, this is still a day worth celebrating.
1. Bring back some hope for New Orleans. New Orleans was struck hard by Hurricane Katrina, and while the efforts to rebuild the city have been immense, it still is nowhere back to what it used to be. We can support the city by visiting New Orleans for Mardi Gras this year and giving them extra revenue to help their efforts at restoration.
2. If you can’t visit New Orleans, then have a fundraiser party in your own hometown and ask for donations to give to Katrina victims, or make donations to the city of New Orleans itself.
3. Mardi Gras is also famously celebrated in Venice Italy and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. This could be the perfect excuse for visiting one of these two awesome locations! You could celebrate Mardi Gras and explore one of these two cities! I personally have never been to either, and they both sound exciting.
4. If you were already celebrating Carnivalin Europe, the Caribbean, or South America, you can continue your celebration if you join in in Mardi Gras festivities!
5. You should celebrate Mardi Gras because you should celebrate every day in life that is possible!
6. Celebrate Mardi Gras to bring back the child in yourself. Let loose, have fun, and just forget about all the worries of the rest of the year, including the responsibilities of Christmas and THanksgiving. Whereas you might be expected to cook a turkey for ten poeple on Thanksgiving, and buy Christmas presents for everyone on Christmas, this holiday can be just about celebrating. You don’t need to buy anything or even spend much money. You can just run around having fun the entire day!
7. Celebrate life itself. Use this day to remember that there are carefree days in life. Take one of them for yourself.
8. Dunkin Donuts sells their famous Fastnacht donuts on Ash Wednesday. So you could create your own type of donut to have for your celebration. Maybe it could be one that’s actually nutritious and helps shed the pounds gained during Christmas instead of gaining them. This would be a reason to celebrate!
9. It will help you learn more about the world. During your celebration, go to a website and look up information about how Mardi Gras is celebrated. You will learn about our history as well as about the traditions of other countries.
10. It gives you a chance to get dressed up and be free of your normal, every day self. You can become a fun person for the day instead of the boring mommy or overworked daddy, or vice versa!