There are many Jewish holidays and celebrations from Passover and Yom Kippur from Purim to Hanukkah. Another great Jewish celebration is a Bar Mitzvah. A Bar Mitzvah is a coming of age ceremony. A Jewish boy automatically becomes a bar mitzvah when he turns 13 and a Jewish girl is automatically becomes bat mitzvah at the age of 12. Knowing the difference between right and wrong and being held responsible for their actions is the true meaning behind what it means to become a bar mitzvah. It is important to know that the popular bar mitzvah ceremony is not required and don’t fulfill any commandment. However, if there is a bar or bat mitzvah it is customary to give gifts. People can give bar mitzvah gifts at the party after the synagogue service or they can be delivered to the child’s home. Even though people give bar mitzvah gifts it might be hard to choose the right bar mitzvah gift. Therefore, here are the five best bar mitzvah gifts of all time.
1. Cash or a Savings Bond: These are great bar mitzvah gifts because they will help children with college. It is usually a tradition to give cash, checks, or savings bond in increments of 18 because the number 18 is an important number in Jewish culture. This is because the Hebrew word for life, chai, has the numerical value of 18 in Judaism. I usually give my cousins savings bonds worth $36 for their bar or bat mitzvah gift. Savings bonds can be purchased at any bank.
2. A Star of David necklace: This is great bat mitzvah gift because The Stat of David is a symbol of Judaism and it will protect the wearer of the necklace. I bought a 14 karat gold Star of David for my cousin Lauren for her bat mitzvah. The Star of David necklace cost me about $100 and I bought it from QVC at QVC.com.
3. A Barnes and Noble Gift certificate: This is a good bar mitzvah gift because many teenagers love to read and listen to music. Again, it would be good to purchase a Barnes and Noble gift certificate in an increment of 18, probably $36 is a good amount because that way the bar mitzvah boy can purchase or can get two books or two compact disks.
4. A Pen Set: This bar mitzvah gift is a traditional bar mitzvah gift. A pen set is beautiful and very useful for future high school student. In addition, a pen set would be the ideal bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah gift for a future Jewish writer. A very elegant pen set can be purchased at Things Remembered for about $60. In addition, the pen set can be engraved for a small additional fee.
5. A Kiddush Cup: This is an ideal bar mitzvah gift for a family to give a bar mitzvah boy because a Kiddush cup can be used over and over again during some Jewish holidays and at his wedding. In short, this is a great bar mitzvah gift because it can be passed down from generation to generation. Kiddush cups can be purchased at any synagogue gift shop for a variety of prices. Sources: www.judaism.about.com, www.jwefaq.org/barmitz.htm