Everyone experiences stress at some point in their lives, stress can be harmful to your health and overall well-being if not managed. Here are a few easy ways to help reduce, and manage the stress in your life.
1) Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to help you relax and relieve some stress. Try using a calming or relaxing scent such as jasmine or lavender. Aromatherapy can be found in many forms like incense, candles, or aromatic oils. Choose a relaxing and private place in your home. Dim the lights and play some soft music if you choose, this often times helps the body to relax a lot faster. If you choose to burn candles, incense, or oils always use caution and follow the directions for use. Another alternative to burning aromatic oils is to put a few drops of your favorite scent on a cotton ball. Wave the cotton ball under your nose and breath in the scent, or try putting a few drops in your bathwater. Once again please use caution because some oils can irritate the skin, so be sure to avoid using those types of oils for any contact with skin.
2) Writing: Writing can be a very effective way to release some of the stress that has been building up. It is a way for you to “vent” about things that have been upsetting you. Get a journal and write down the things that have been stressing you out. You can do this as often as you like whether it be once a week or once a month. I have found that writing daily has helped to reduce stress more effectively. Remember you don’t have to just write about what has been bothering you. You can also channel your stress into creative writings such as poetry, songs, or short stories. Find the writing style that suits you best.
3) Exercise: Exercise is a great way to help relieve stress. You can choose to do any exercise that you feel comfortable with. Cardio exercises such as running, jogging, and kick-boxing are some great ways to burn off some stress and calories! Pilate’s and yoga are also great exercise choices to. Your local video store may have some workout videos available. Check them out find one that works for you, not only will you feel better you will be healthier too!
4) Meditation: This is also a great way to help manage the stress in your life. There are many different types of meditation to choose from. One of the most basic methods is to find a quiet place in your home where you can be alone for a little while. Dim the lights. You can choose to lay down flat on your back, or sit on the floor with your back perfectly straight and your legs crossed in front of you. Sitting is the preferred position because you are less likely to fall asleep. Set a timer or an alarm clock for ten minutes. Take deep relaxing breaths, exhaling from your nose. Try to block out any noise that is around you, and focus on yourself. Imagine yourself being covered with a bright light. This helps the flow of positive energy through out your body. Some people choose to play soft music in the background because it helps them to relax quicker others find it distracting, the choice is yours. Check out your local library for the selections of books they carry on meditation. Meditation is great for your mental health. It has many positive outcomes, such as the ability to focus and think clearer through out your day.
5) Massage: Check out your local spa’s for the types of massages that they offer. Most spa’s have specialty massages that target specific areas. One type is hot rock therapy. If time or money are a factor for you, check out your local library for books on self massage. Self massage is a quick easy way to help reduce stress. Just like spa massages you can focus on one particular area of the body such as your hands, neck, face, and feet. Massage not only relieves stress, it can also help relieve tension and pain in areas of the body.
6) Call A Friend: This is a very simple way to help reduce your stress level. Call up a friend or family member that you can confide in, and “vent” to them about your day. Talking about issues in your life with someone is one of the most effective ways to alleviate stress. By talking you are getting everything out in the open. Instead of keeping it bottled up inside.
7) Hobbies: Find something that you really enjoy doing and do it! There are many hobbies out there such as painting, drawing, gardening, or simply collecting items that make you happy. Any activity that makes you happy is beneficial. It helps you to get your mind off of the things that you are having trouble dealing with. Plus you get to enjoy seeing something that you have created!
8) Spend Time With Your Pet: If you have a pet, spending time with them can be a great stress reducer. Take them for walks, play with them, teach them new tricks, or simply just cuddle with them. There have been many studies that reported people with pets live a more happier life then those who don’t have pets. It seems to me that dogs have always been able to pick up on negative energy that you are putting out. They like to do things to get your attention, so that you are able to not focus so much on your problems. Remember when you are happy your pets are happy too!
9) Reading: Read a book, magazine, or newspaper. Pretty much anything that captures your attention is good. Reading helps to keep your mind focused on something other than things that are stressing you out. Even if it is only a temporary distraction it is worth it in the long run.
10) Therapy: Sometimes we have so much stress in our lives that we cannot handle it alone. Sometimes professional help is in order. Especially if stress is starting to take over your daily life. Stress can very easily lead to more serious conditions like depression. Talk with your doctor about other recommendations on how to manage stress more effectively.
These are just a few simple tips that you can try to help reduce and manage the stress in your life, give them a try. Remember if the stress in your life is becoming too overwhelming, then it may be time to talk with your doctor for more effective methods on how to cope with stress. Your physical and mental health should be the most important things in your life. You only get one body and it is your responsibility to take care of it. It is the most beneficial thing you can do in your life.