We all want to be good dancers. Why wouldn’t we? Dancers are graceful and dancers are beautiful and sexy looking. Plus, with all those popular reality television shows that feature celebrity dancers, dancing has risen in popularity. But what can we do when we aren’t born with what seems to be the dancing gene?
First, you should remember dancing is like everything else in life. To be good at it, you must practice. You must practice a lot. If you don’t believe this to be true, then watch some of those television shows and listen to how much time those celebrities really do put into learning those dances each week. You might even be a little bit more impressed by them.
Yet, practicing is just one tip that may help you. There are many others such as:
1. Warming up. Yes, dancing is an exercise. With every exercise you should warm up before starting. This gives your muscles a chance to stretch and become looser. In turn, this makes it easier to follow those steps and look more graceful in the process because your body isn’t as tight.
2. Watch the type of shoes you wear. Yes, you see professionals dance all the time in those high heels. But if you aren’t a professional those high heels will just give you one more problem to overcome.
3. Learn how to achieve better balance. When dancing your footwork is important. This means more than just following the precise steps to each dance. It is also the way your foot brushes against the other foot. To achieve good form, balance is in order. You may even want to study some ballet or yoga moves to help teach your body better balancing techniques.
4. When doing ballroom dancing, remember kick steps are not done with your toes up in the air. They are supposed to be pointing downward toward the outside. If you are doing a kickstep in a country line dance type of dance, then it may be okay to kick upwards.
5. If you want to ballroom dance like the celebrities and you aren’t a great or even good dancer, maybe you might want to consider starting by learning how to line dance. Line dancing isn’t always done just to country music. Sometimes it is now performed to swing and even to top 40 music.
Line dancing is a great way to start learning foot work, arm movement and foot placements.
6. Learn the beat of the music. For each dance, you may have to move on certain beats. An example of this is the Cha-Cha. You are suppose to break on the 2 and 3. To do this properly, you must understand what the beats of the music are.
7. Watch your posture. Posture is very important in dance.
8. Learn the basics of each dance you are learning. You must know the first steps of the dance before you can learn the second steps, etc.
9. Relax. Do not be hard on yourself when you make mistakes. Remember learning how to dance and learning each dance will take time. It helps if you can relax and not beat yourself up each time you miss a step.
10. Laugh and have fun. This will help you to relax.
You don’t have to be a celebrity to learn how to dance. Dancing can benefit anyone. It is a great way to exercise and a great way to blow off steam. So dust off those dancing shoes and have some fun.