At one time or another, most of us have wanted to generate some fast cash. Perhaps you have a vacation coming up, an unexpected bill, or you want to buy a gift for that special someone. These tips won’t make you rich, and they may require some effort on your part, but they work in a pinch, and they sure beat picking up a part time job.
This is a great opportunity to clean out your closets and earn cash for some of that clutter!
1. Sell extra items that you’re not using or don’t need on craigslist. It’s amazing what you can sell (and buy) on craigslist. There doesn’t seem t be anything too small to sell. I’ve sold everything from an old computer that didn’t that work to extra flower pots. The turn around is usually pretty fast because the buyers are local and the sales are cash. In fact, it’s a good idea to avoid being scammed by sticking to local and cash buyers. Including a picture with your ad generally increases buyer interest. You can also check out the “wanted” listings on craigslist, as you just may have something that someone else is looking to buy.
2. Clean out your closet and head to a consignment shop. If you haven’t worn it in the last 2 years, then chances are that you’re never going to wear it. Most consignment stores only accept clothes for the current season, but you can always set side those items for the next season and take them in a few months.
3. Sell your books. You can sell textbooks and other books online through various companies, including Barnes & Noble. You can send the books postage paid. The prices for textbooks are generally better than those you receive on campus. Be aware, however, that it can take a few weeks to process the order and to receive your check or paypal payment.
4. Sell your old CDs and DVDs. Many local music stores have buyback programs. You can also sell these through online buyback retailers similar to those discussed above for books.
5. Sell your old cell phone. You may have upgraded to a newer model, but your old phone could still be worth something. Search online for dealers buying cell phones. Even if you only make a few dollars, you will not have to pay shipping costs.
6. Visit a pawn shop. This method is usually best only if you have valuable items that you really don’t want anymore. You can get instant cash this way, but you may be able o get a better price on craigslist or e-bay.
7. Post ads in strategic locations to sell extra items. Apartment complex mailbox areas are great spots to post ads for furniture and other household items.
8. Sell your services. If you’re a great babysitter with solid references, consider posting online ads for babysitting. Or if you’re pretty handy, consider posting an ad for handyman services. If you like writing and giving advice, join Associated Content!