Whoever said rappers couldn’t act lied! These 10 rappers have been handling business both in the studio and on the big screen.
10. Cam’ron: While running his own record label Dipset Records, Cam’ron also manages to pull off one hell of an acting job in the movie Paid In Full. He plays the part of a double crossing friend which really fits his personality. Although his own movie that he wrote and produced “Killa Season” wasn’t a major success on the market, the hip hop community still embraced it as one of the realest urban classics.
9. Common: Rapper/backpacker Common made his acting debut in the movie Smokin’ Aces in which he played the head of security for Jeremy Piven(Entourage). The rapper proved that he could hold his weight to the fullest as he played an outstanding part that was the opposite of how he is in real life. In the film he portrayed an aggressive, out spoken man of leadership compared to his more reserved personality that he shows through out his lyrics.
8. DMX: Although the “dog” hasn’t been in films as of recent, it clear that he still played numerous roles that would earn him this spot. While making his debut in Hype William’s Belly, he continued to appear as different characters in action pack films that involved A-list actors such as Steven Segal and Jet Li. After appearing in the anticipated Exit Wounds he went on to do Cradle to the Grave and Never Die Alone. DMX brought the rough street edge to the big screen as he did in his lyrics.
7. Ludacris: After playing a rapper in the film Hustle and Flow and speeding in 2 Fast 2 Furious, Ludacris took it upon himself to branch out by acting in the award winning movie Crash. He went from playing characters that are so much like him, to doing the opposite in Crash where he played a more up scale role with a all-star cast. He continues to pursue acting when he recently appeared on an Episode of CSI.
6. Andre 3000: Andre is the outcast member of the rap group Outcast and he brings his versatility to the big screen. Playing in movies like 4 Brothers and Be Cool, Andre takes incredible risk and leaps forward in his career. He constantly surrounds himself with the best actors in films and perhaps it has rubbed off on him so to say as he’s on his way to being one of the greats. Although the films “Idlewild” didnt make a lot of noise through the industry, he vows to continue acting in a list of upcoming films.
5. Queen Latifah: With a long list of movies under her belt, Queen Latifah is a perfect example of how rappers really do make good actors or actresses. Such movies like Chicago, Bringing Down the House and Taxi are just a percentage of everything that she’s played in. She’s played roles as characters that resemble her to characters that are completely different from her. The role she played in Set It Off sulfide her ability for passion and emotion while other movies like Brown Sugar showed her ability to have fun and cut loose.
4. Snoop Dogg: Rapper Snoop Dogg has made a great transition from rapper to actor by starring in films Soul Plane, Baby Boy and the super funny Starsky and Hutch. While putting his street appeal to the side, he was able to steal the show so to say in the movie Starsky and Hutch in which he played Sugar Bear, an upscale pimp. He also worked side by side with Denzel Washington in the film Training Day and even took it upon himself to do the urban comedy The Wash.
3. Ice-T: After his breakthrough role in New Jack City, Ice-T has proceeded to act in more than a list of movies and pilot shows. Ice-T differs from many rappers that act because he plays roles that are often like him. He plays the hardcore, live and direct speaking individual who is often very confrontational. With other films such as Trespass under his belt, he vows to keep doing his thing by acting. Ice plays an ongoing role on the most watched Law & Order SVU as a detective with a no non sense attitude.
2. Ice Cube: Ice Cube is proof that not only do rappers make good actors but also good directors. After starting in the reality urban film Boys N The Hood as Doughboy, Ice Cube made it a point to perfect his acting craft. Appearing in movies such as Higher Learning and The Glass Shield made it more than obvious that he could play some of the most controversial roles. However, with him writing, producing and acting in movies like Barbershop, Friday and All about the Benjamins it clearly stated his ability to be very versatile not only as an actor, but a director as well.
1. Tupac: The number one spot goes to Tupac. Tupac was a different type of actor because he actually lived out the roles that he played. Movies like Juice, Above the Rim and Poetic Justice all showed Tupac for the man he really was. The roles he played on the screen where so identical to the music he put out. Watching him on film was like watching a soundtrack to his life as it showed all his talents. Other films like Gang Related and Gridlock’d showed his ability to switch characters but still maintain the sense of who he was. It’s clear that almost every director wanted to work with him as he had a list of scripts piled up to be answered even after his death.