Vegetables are important to the health of a growing child. The problem is that most kids put up a fight when it comes time to eat anything healthy. This article will provide you with 10 ways you can jazz up your cucumbers to make them more appealing to your children.
1. Lemonade-Most kids like lemonade. When my daughter asks for a glass I take two cucumber slices and make a slit half way down their middle. Then I drape them over the edge of the top of the glass of lemonade. When I served it to my daughter I told her it was there for decoration. I then walked away. Don’t you know that when I came back the cucumber was gone.
2. Italian Dressing-The simplest of cucumber dishes is cucumber salad. Slice up an entire cucumber and pour Italian dressing over it. Add a few chopped onions for added flavor and serve as a lunch side dish.
3. Baked Potato-Chop your cucumbers up in to tiny cubes. Take a fully cooked baked potato and add a dollop of Daisy to the top. Then add your cucumber cubes and serve. This makes a perfect side dish for dinner.
4. Fry it Up-Let’s face it, anything fried is delicious. So why not fry up your cucumbers too. Just slice your cucumbers and dip them in egg. Then dip the slices in flour and place them in your fryer or a pan with hot oil. When both sides are golden take out and serve. Great for lunch or dinner.
5. Taco Topper-Once again you want to cut your cucumber up in to cubes. I like them small. Drape over your taco along with your other favorite toppings. I think shredded cheddar cheese goes best with cucumber cubes. Serve for a quick dinner.
6. Make a Boat-This is so fun and I am sure kids will love it. Make up your meat like you would be making meat loaf. Now take your cucumber and peel off all of the skin. Cut the cucumber in half and scoop out all of the seeds. Replace the seeds with the meat loaf mixture. Put your boats in a baking dish and drizzle spaghetti sauce over the top. Cover the baking dish with tin foil and cook it on 350 degrees until the meat loaf mixture is cooked all the way through.
7. Make it Relish-Cut your cucumber up in to tiny cubes. Take a few pickles and do the same. Mix the pickles and cucumbers together and use as a relish for your next hamburger or hotdog.
8. Bake it-Cucumbers taste really good baked and they only take a second to prepare. Cut your cucumber in to thick slices. Place them in a baking sheet and add a slab of butter to the top of each. Sprinkle some of your favorite herbs and spices on the top. Bake and Serve.
9. A Chicken Topper-Cut your cucumbers in to cubes and serve on top of your favorite chicken dish. My favorite is lemon chicken. You can bake the cucumber on top of the chicken or you can add them when the chicken is done cooking. It tastes great either way.
10. Salad topper-This one is a no brainer which is why I left it for last. Cucumbers are great on salads and most kids will eat them that way. Cut them in to cubes or slices, whichever your child prefers. Perhaps if you give them the choice they will be more inclined to eat it.