Recycling has become a big phenomenon in past decades. It used to be, many years ago, that we would just go through whatever we want and then dispose of it, not thinking of the consequences.
However, this is no longer the case. Recycling is big. And some places it’s required. In some states, you can even get money back for recycling certain products. In Hagerstown, MD for instance, you can get 3 cents for each bag you return to the Weiss grocery store to reuse.
Why is recycling so important these days? Well, there are a number of reasons. First and foremost, we will run out of STUFF if we don’t reuse it. There is only so much oil on the planet, for example. Second, we won’t have anywhere left to put the used STUFF. What this means is that landfills are filling up, and there are more and more DUMPING sites for waste. Third, well, you get the idea.
I have compiled some ideas for ways you can recycle this Fall and do your part to make the most of each and every product and thing you use. Hopefully you will find some ways to recycle that you might never have even thought of.
1. Recycle your old presidents. Vote Hilary Clinton in 2008, and we’ll get Bill all over again. (Now, I know that this one is kind of just funny, but I couldn’t help myself.)
2. Make your favorite old clothes into pillows. Have you ever seen this done before? It’s pretty neat. What you do is take an old shirt, for instance, that you just can’t give up, and cut it into two squares, which you then sew together and stuff with down or memory foam or whatever. Then, you get to keep your shirt that you love around for awhile longer, and you don’t take up more space in the trash by throwing out the shirt. This is a great craft or home improvement project!
3. Use old material to make a table cloth. This is one of my favorites. If you’re one of the people who makes your own clothes, or perhaps you bought some material for a Halloween costume, and you have it left over, make it into a table cloth. What you do is just sew together small pieces of fabric into an interesting design and spread it across the table. You could choose to make a quilt instead with this idea.
4. Make decorative things for your house from old water bottles. First take off the labels, and then fill them with colored sand, for instance. Or, cut off the narrow top of the bottle, and use the bottle as a vase. Since it’s plastic, you’ll need to give it some weight so it doesn’t fall over. Put some marbles in the bottom, or some sand.
5. If you have an old car, there are many places that will come pick it up and use it for the scrap metal. This is a good idea, instead of just getting rid of the car. Someone will make use of every piece of the car they can.
6. In Montgomery County, MD you can actually put out scrap metal to be picked up for recycling at your curbside, including old bicycles, large household appliances, aluminum lawn chairs and swingsets. You can even put out old lawnmowers!
7. Here’s another cool idea- make your old jeans into a jean purse! You can cut the jeans into a smaller shape, double it, and then sew it together. You can even use a part of the jean with a pocket to have a pocket already built right into your purse. This is a hot fashion trend right now!
8. Did you know that you can donate your old computer to a school to be reused? The schools are way behind in technology, so they most likely would be glad to have your old computer to help one additional student. The World Computer Exchange was formed for just this purpose. Their goal is to help more children get connected to the Internet, through providing computers from donations. You can also volunteer to help with this organization!
9. Use egg cartons to store your earrings and jewelry, to keep them separate. If you really want to go all out, you can decorate the egg cartons with other recycled material, such as with old macaroni noodles that went bad before you got to use them.
10. Use old film containers to put aspirin in and put in your purse, or for a small amount of lotion to carry with you.
I would love to hear your ideas on interesting ways to recycle!